What to Do When a Job Fails with a Bad X11 Display? (NetworkComputer & FlowTracer)
Bad X11 Display
VOV_JOB_XTERM: Cannot use DISPLAY=vl-c-abpate-gridsdca:12.0 with XTERM=/usr/bin/xterm: child process exited abnormallyThis is not a tool error, but an error generated by FlowTracer. When the vovproject is created, the display for xterms is set. You need to check it.
- It is stored in the property X11_DISPLAY on set 1.
- The display can be retrieved with vovprop get 1 X11_DISPLAY.
vovprop set 1 X11_DISPLAY "new display"
Find out the current display setting by echoing the content of your env variable $DISPLAY, in csh echo $DISPLAY. If you are running as a different user, you also need to open permissions on your display, for the job to open a display. A basic command is:
There may be more sophisticated methods in place, involving settings of X11_AUTHORITY, and other methods. Note that we currently do not support remote displays using ssh -Y.
The display could no longer be available if the current user does not have access permissions. To debug this, try another command that opens something. Commands commonly available that open a new window in Unix include:
1. Double-click the job to open the NodeEditor and select tab Execution & Impact.
You can also override the DISPLAY variable for a specific job by using the vovconsole GUI. To do so, perform the following steps:
2. Insert the available DISPLAY in X11 Display right above the Default X11 Display.
3. Retrace the job after saving the new setting.
Did you find this article helpful?